Tried and tested resources to improve literacy and oracy skills.
Experience tried and tested learning and resources from our Sankofa transnational storytelling project; an experience that has combined traditional storytelling techniques with digital technologies.
The vital role of storytelling in the past, present and for our future will be introduced. We will explore the learning guide, toolkit and new stories which have been developed with teachers and children in Cumbria, London, Czech Republic and Slovakia. We will also help you to plan classroom sessions to enable pupils to find new stories that will contribute to a sustainable future in our interconnected world.
The themes you will explore through the storytelling process will include migration, gender, biodiversity, climate change and will be linked to the Sustainable Development Goals.
Aims of the course:
- The course provides you with opportunities to develop language skills, digital competencies and global competencies
- Discussion of the Sustainable Development Goals and how they link to themes of migration, gender, biodiversity and climate change
Benefits of attending the course:
- Understand storytelling as an art and skill that can be explicitly taught to empower pupils, capturing their creativity and developing a range of global citizenship skills
- Become more confident in supporting children to think critically about local to global themes
- Enrich your Language primary curriculum, particularly through speaking and listening, drama opportunities and vocabulary enrichment.
- The storytelling methodology can be used effectively in geography, history, arts and for PSHE
- Expand your confidence in PSHE by learning how to build self-confidence, creativity and presentation skills and IT skills amongst your pupils.
Target Audience: Teachers at Key Stages 2 and 3 including NQTs, RQTs and English, Drama and SMSC subject leaders
|Presenters:||Debbie Watson – CDEC|
|Date:||Wednesday 11th March 2020|
|Venue:||Yarlside Academy, Redoak Avenue, Barrow-in-Furness, Cumbria, LA13 0LH|